Tuesday, February 5, 2013

teeter-totters and cheshire cat grins



I don't even know where to start today with words. I slept until noon, because I was awake until 4 am again. It's so peaceful after midnight here. That's when the life and music stops for the day and everyone else goes to sleep. I woke at 6am to the sound of rain, it comes down fast and hard and sounds like torrential drumming on the metal roof. By the time I got all the windows closed, it had stopped. I stood on the front porch watching the sky get lighter and debated staying up to experience my first sunrise in paradise. I woke S to see if he wanted to watch it with me, he didn't. So I crawled back in with him and we slept.


They know us at the market now, which makes it more fun to go. We were looking for chicken broth (nope) or bouillon without msg (nope). We found a pack that looked promising, no msg (which now I can identify 20 dif names for msg in 5 dif languages). So this packet, no msg, but I couldn't translate the other ingredients. Turns out it was ground cinnamon. Oh the ladies laughed! Good thing we didn't put that in chicken soup.  FYI- when you buy a whole cut up chicken here, it includes the feet. Both of them. Ew!


We ate gelato, and talked with Rasta Carl, who was so excited to see us that he kissed my cheek. We laughed when S blurted out, "well that is mom's first kiss here!" So Carl kissed my cheek again, then tried to kiss S's cheek too, all in fun. We played at the park, and you haven't seen anything until you see a kid and a handsome Caribbean guy with long dreds, on a teeter-totter. They were both laughing, and dreds were flailing, and half the time, one of them was a bit air-born. Why aren't there teeter-totters in US?

I can't decide if I like the beach better during the day (sun) or at night (moonlight). This is the second time it has been clear enough to see the moon. And we all leaned our heads to the left in unison, as we realized the moon here is sideways. The phases here go up and down, but in US they go left to right. So only the bottom half of the moon was lit, like a big cheshire cat grin!



No comments:

Post a Comment